Thursday, February 7, 2013

Act now to repeal No Rights At Work in the US


A new petition is up on the White House website to repeal the federal law that allows states to weaken workers' rights through No Rights At Work laws.

Sign it here.

The petition is the brainchild of Stephanee Parks, a college student who is interning at Teamsters Local 142 in Gary, Ind. Here's what she told us about it (and herself):
So please pass this along to anyone and everyone, you do not have to be union and this isn’t just about Indiana, it’s NATIONWIDE, in order to sign the petition. In order to fill out the petition, you must be 18 years of age and have a valid email address. I need to collect 100,000 signatures by midnight 08 March 2013.
My name is Stefanee Parks, and I am currently a student at Purdue University Calumet in Hammond, IN. I am a psychology major with a minor in history and labor studies. I am also currently interning at Teamsters Local 142 in Gary, IN. I have several projects going on this semester, and the majority has to do with unions and my pro-stance on unions.
I read about the previous petition that I found on a Teamsters Nation blog and signed it, but I did not realize that it had an end date and can no longer be viewed. Being the crafty college student I am, well I made one myself and I have 30 days from today to collect 100,000 signatures. So in other words, I need to collect 100,000 signatures by midnight 08 March 2013.
If you would like to support my petition, I thank you ahead of time for signing this petition. So please share it with anyone you think would support this petition.
Yes it may be a school project but it is a project I deeply believe in. "The right to petition your government is guaranteed by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Throughout our history, Americans have used petitions to organize around issues they care about from ending slavery, to guaranteeing women's right to vote, to the civil rights movement."
It reads as follows:
Please demand legislation to repeal the infamous section 14(b) of the Taft-Hartley Act and to rid this country once and for all of the so-called Right To Work statutes.
Many states are passing this legislation because they want the ability to obtain a job to be without bias and discrimination based on whether or not you are a part of the union. Now that some of these laws have passed can we now say the opposite is true and RTW laws discriminate against folks who are union? Every worker benefits from the union contract, but under so-called RTW laws, some pay absolutely nothing to the union that negotiates that contract. That encourages others to choose to pay nothing, and eventually the union unravels.
Repeal 14(b)!
demand legislation to repeal the infamous section 14(b) of the Taft-Hartley Act and to rid this coun
petitions.whitehouse.govPlease demand legislation to repeal the infamous section 14(b) of the Taft-Hartley Act and to rid this country once and for all of the so-called Right To Work statutes.